The National and University Library (NUK) collects, documents, preserves and archives the written cultural and scientific heritage of the Slovenian nation. It is the Slovenia national library, the university library of the University of Ljubljana, Slovenian Library Network Development Centre and the central research library in Slovenia.
The National and University Library (NUK) collects, documents, preserves and archives the written cultural and scientific heritage of the Slovenian nation. It provides ready access to knowledge and culture of the past and present Slovenian generations. In collaboration with national and international libraries, it enables access to the world’s written cultural and scientific heritage. In the process of creating new knowledge, it helps its users to search, select, evaluate and use information resources in different formats, forms and languages. Its collections and services support scholarly and scientific work of the Ljubljana University and other higher education institutions. The Library is a centre of knowledge aimed at lifelong education of the Slovenian people, and at raising their cultural and educational level and information literacy skills. Through research, development and educational activities in the field of librarianship, the Library is actively co-shaping Slovenian library system, and makes significant contributions to theoretical and practical knowledge of library and information science.
The Library wishes to enable the widest possible access to Slovenian and world’s written and cultural heritage. NUK collection and information sources should become available to everyone not only in the Library premises but also on one’s virtual bookshelf through electronic access. Users will be provided with ready access to the basis of global knowledge and along with instructions how to do so. The Library will maintain and preserve its collections, and will take over an even more active role in digitization of existing library material, and in collecting and preserving information sources in electronic formats or digitized material. We will strive to make library a centre for education, research, for satisfying our cultural needs, as well as need for socializing and leisure.
- to respect the national written cultural and scientific heritage in printed and electronic form,
- to respect spiritual and intellectual creativity of the Slovenian and other nations,
- to respect the principle of universal accessibility to information and intellectual property rights in printed and digital environment,
- to be committed to meet all the information needs of the Library users, to fulfil their wishes and expectations,
- to treat the Library users with courtesy and professionalism,
- to promote quality and relevance of services and products,
- to response creatively to the changing environment.